Monday, March 31, 2008



I'm afraid I don't have anything at an exciting stage this week, because I'm working on two paintings at once.


One is my piece for the charity auction due in May, and the other (shown) is a commission piece.


The commission is of Heather, former librarian, the founder of the village horticultural society, leading light of the genealogy society, implementer of the war memorial fund for the new park in the village, etc. etc. Heather past away in January, and will be sorely missed. Not everyone agreed with her in all things, but everyone admired her, and I am honoured to have been asked to do her portrait.


This is going to be a real challenge, the photo reference is a black and white, enlargement that is just a little grainy. It's also of a Heather much younger than when I knew her. The trick will be to not fall into the oh so seductive trap of inventing information that I don't have ie: the line of her nose, or the shape of her ear. I spent several hours yesterday working on the initial sketch, and I think I'm on the right track, although I see one eye isn't quite right just yet.


Those of you who know how I work, will know that this is just the start of the under painting, and that many more colour layers go on top of this.


I think I'm going to go for softer sepia type colours in this one, I think they will be more believable, that bright colours, and I'm going to try to keep it simple.


Tomorrow I hang my show in the St. Thomas library in the a.m. As I have mentioned I'll have 9-10 works there for the month of April. If you're in the area drop in.


Till then, enjoy the spring weather, Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *