Monday, July 21, 2008

Elgin Artfest this weekend

Artfest Elgin: this weekend Saturday July 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. rain or shine, Pinafore Park St Thomas.


Sunday the 13th was Showcase Elgin, which was a presentation of "the best" of Elgin county. I was honoured to be asked to participate in this. as an artist.


The presentation was to the judges of Community in Blooms. There were awards given to several community groups for 'good works', as well as to individuals. I always thought C.I.B. was just about flowers, but it turns out if's more about making individual communities good places to live and work. My friend Kent Bucannan was nominated in the environmental impact category, for the group he's started called Sustainable Belmont. This group is working to educated people, as to what they can do at a grassroots level ,to lessen our footprint on the planet.
My neighbours behind, won for turf alternatives. They've been converting their lawn to clover and ground covers, and have a beautiful garden.
As an ardent environmentalist and crazy gardener I'm pleased by the direction of C.I.B. I'm not a fan of "golf course lawns" off the golf course, or of other chemical heavy gardening. Most of the gardening talks I've given ( as a M.G.) have been about creating leaner gardens that depend less on watering, fertilizing and pesticides.
That was Sunday, Monday I had to take myself in to the walk-in clinic. My breathing had been getting progressively worse for several days and by Monday I knew I was in trouble. My chronic Bronchitis had turned into acute Bronchitis, which is not cute at all. After a week of antibiotics I'm feeling much better, although the air quality is still pitiful here, and my chest is still tight. Of course that meant for a week I didn't have the energy to paint. I still puddled along and finished "Me and Mom" (above). If I was charging by the hour this painting would be about $600.00. but its not, so don't despair.
Artfest Elgin is this Saturday. I've taken the day off work so that I can attend, lets pray for good weather. at lest this time I didn't have to organize the event. Laura Woemreke has taken on this, and from what I've seen so far, she's doing a great job. Hope to see you there.

And ..............I'M GONNA BE A GRANDMA!!!........................... my eldest son and his bride announced to the family last night, I've known for a while, but I had to wait until they were ready to let everyone know, and it's been killing me to keep quiet. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *