Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm back



We got in late Wed. night from our New York trip. It was wonderful, and I have two picture cards full in my camera bag. I haven't had a chance to see them yet, as I had to work yesterday and I go in, in about 1 1/4 hours today. I'll have a lot to say as soon as I have a few moments to get to the computer.

For now I just want to remind everyone that the Dorchester Show is tomorrow, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. at the Dorchester arena, across from Timmies on Dorchester Rd.

This is going to be part of the Monarch piece that I'm working on, you can see the tissue paper that I'm using, a bit of a challenge, but I'm liking it.

EDIT: New York was cleaner and friendlier than I expected. We did most of the touristy stuff, Empire State Building, Macy's, Times Square (our hotel was 5 blocks from it), Broadway (we saw Spamalot~hilarious) Harbour Cruise etc etc. The tour was so tightly scheduled that if you weren't there when the bus was to leave, you were left behind, and some folks were.

We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The M.O.M.A., and the Guggenheim. The Met was amazing. I could have spent the whole week there alone. Just seeing all of the paintings I've studied so long 'in the flesh' as it were blew me away. I've always wanted to see the mummy portraits in the Egyptian section, so I quickly breezed through that, then on to the art of the Renaissance, and Modern Masters. I can't begin to tell you the impact of seeing those paintings.................... there is a reason they are the classics, and the people who painted them are called Masters. No print has that impact.

M.O.M.A. is of course modern, Picasso, Gauguin, Monet, etc etc. There was a Van Gough exhibit on while we were there, again, I can not describe, no words are adequate. How can it be that no one saw the genius of this man during his lifetime???

Guggenheim was under renovations so we weren't able to see all of it, which was a disappointment, but again what we did see was unbelievable.

I was intrigued by the people/patrons.

There were the people who went around listening very intently to the ipods provided, I wondered if they actually saw what the artist was saying, or only listened to what the narrator said.

There were the people who were there to 'do' the museum, almost as if they were checking off a to do list, they seemed more intent on getting through it than in seeing what they were there to see.

There were the one's with cameras, bagging big game, more intent on what was in their view finder than in front of their faces. There was one guy in the Van Gough exhibit sneaking photos, since photography was not allowed, and he kept pushing people to get a good shot. I wish I had ratted him out, but... I'm too nice.

And then there were the devote, worshipful, examining every brush stoke, and constantly getting in the way of the big game baggers, Guess which one I was lol.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip, and if you get the chance, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *