Wednesday, October 1, 2008

prep for &, painting in tissue

Being the environmentalist type I am, and cheap too, I've rescued several pieces of Masonite board out of the dumpster at work .I've been preparing some to work on, and boy I tell ya, it's a lot of work. first I have to cut and sand, then two coats of primer, both sides and all edges. Sand again then gesso, then undercoat, liquid gold is my favourite for the mixed media, but it's very transparent and requires several coats. whew! Now I'm ready to start, but it's taken a whole week.
I've started the next in my series 'at risk'. This one is Monarch butterflies. What remarkable creatures. Each generation only lives 3 months, a little more if the individual is very lucky and avoids all the predators / hazards. Yet they some how know to complete the journey their parents started to either the summer or winter mating grounds.
With this new technique I've been developing, the realism part of the piece is painted on tissue so that I can meld it into the rest of the work. It's more than a bit tricky. I've been trying various methods to figure out the best way to go about getting the effect I'm after. So far... well you'll see

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *