Colourful Contemporary Art

I am a professional artist and art teacher.
I paint the tenacious bits of wild that defy human activity in a manner inspired by
my fascination with fossils and designed to make the viewer look deeper.
Studio visits by luck or by appointment are welcome.

Monday, July 13, 2009

20 hour studio challenge, and sacred circles

I've long been attracted to circles. They are a constant in my art . I've been researching mandala's, medicine wheels, labyrinths, yin/yang's, and all manner of sacred circles, so that I can make more authentic use of them in the work I've been doing. The concept of a sacred circle, I think, works on many levels with my environmental message. I've also been playing with making my own paper for a while and I think I'm ready to start using it in my work, interestingly, my frame is circular.
The 20 hour studio challenge has been going on for a while now.
It was started by an artist as a personal commitment to work 20 hours in her studio, she in turn invited other artists to join in the challenge. I've been doing a pared down version of it 15 hours is my goal, since the part time job takes 2 days, other commitments take at lest one other, and weekends are spent at art shows.
The biggest impediment is space. When I was working on one piece at at time my space was enough, but in order to fulfill my 15 hours one piece at a time is a luxury I don't have, (drying time, ya know).
I've taken over part of the family room for my framing stuff, and added shelves to one wall of my studio, but still...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.