Colourful Contemporary Art

I am a professional artist and art teacher.
I paint the tenacious bits of wild that defy human activity in a manner inspired by
my fascination with fossils and designed to make the viewer look deeper.
Studio visits by luck or by appointment are welcome.

Friday, December 11, 2009

blue jay (element) and copyright

After 3 false starts, and almost two weeks of blue air... I finally have a 18 inch Blue Jay 'element' that I can live with... for tonight anyway. There are a couple of passages I'm not completely happy with - which knowing me, means that tomorrow I'll be back at it. I may say that I'm a recovering perfectionist, but times like these remind me that recovering is not recovered!
This guy is a collage element, and part of the oak leaves painting I've been working on the last few weeks. The reference photo is courtesy of 'birdlady' one of the regulars on a bird watchers chat room I frequent. Thank you again, birdlady.

One of the marvels of the Internet is the generosity of the folks out there.
As an artist I try very hard to abide by the copyright laws, and only use reference photo's when I have the blessing of the photographer who took the photo.
I know that not everyone is so scrupulous, and there are a lot of gray areas, but I would not want my work 'stolen', and I treat the photog's work as I would my own.
It would be easier to just take what I wanted, or to use the photo's instead of painting the elements, but that's not the way I want to do it.
A couple of weeks ago I mused about whether I should try to do a painting a week for e:bay, since I'm still working on the same painting I started then, I guess the answer to the weekly time line is -no. At lest not at Christmas, perhaps once the silly season is over....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.