Saturday, February 20, 2010

wetlands vs waste lands

Some paintings happen very quickly, almost painting them selves, most are somewhere in the middle, and then there are those that simmer and bubble in the back of your imagination, for ages before they are ready to be painted.
"Paved Paradise" is one of the latter.
I still have a way to go with this one, and I'm not yet ready to show it to you, but I thought I'd share a bit of my thought process with you.
Wetlands are often seen as waste lands, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Not only do wetlands provide habitat to a wide range of creatures, they are also the most effective water purification system in the world, far far more efficient than anything man has made.
They are also extremely effective at flood control, acting like a sponge absorbing excess water from storm surge, before it causes damage.
World wide over 50% of wetlands have been destroyed/drained, in some places the loss is closer to 90%, scary.
I started researching wetlands when I started the 'At Risk' series, while the wetlands aren't exactly a species they are definitely at risk.
So this painting will be part of the series.
Map symbols, mosaic of map and money bits, and of course realism 'elements' all are part of it, I'm waiting for some mica paint I had to special order ( to look like asphalt) as soon as I get it I will finish up and give you a look at 'Paved Paradise"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *