Sunday, August 28, 2011

Venus of the Waves, a nod to Botticelli




painting Venus of the waves terraskin



I'm having fun experimenting with terraskin, and if possible I'm even more in love with the stuff!
It cuts like a dream, it's possible to carve tiny slivers off of a sheet, or to cut intricate patterns. The possibilities are endless, I've long been fascinated by mosaic, stained glass, and quilts, all of these influences are appearing in my paintings, while I have fun with texture and colour. I feel like my muse has been unchained from the restraints of a conventional support, and I chafe at the 'real world' taking me out of the studio.




That said, the studio tour brochure and posters are out for their final vetting before they're printed, and some of the drama in my life has started to settle down...hopefully it's not just a storm eye, I don't like drama.





This painting owes a debt of gratitude to Sandro Botticelli's 'Birth of Venus', one of my all time favorite art pieces.
Way,way back I had an art teacher, Mary Redekop who was really big on art history. I owe her a debt of gratitude too. The wonders she introduced us to are in a large part, what motivated me to honor my inner artist.


detail venus of the waves terraskin
detail venus of the waves terraskin



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *