Colourful Contemporary Art

I am a professional artist and art teacher.
I paint the tenacious bits of wild that defy human activity in a manner inspired by
my fascination with fossils and designed to make the viewer look deeper.
Studio visits by luck or by appointment are welcome.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Time, Again

Looking over my postings for the last few months I notice that they all have a common thread, time, or the lack there of.
I had a conversation yesterday with a dear friend where she asked when do you want to retire?

Want to retire... that's a loaded question, yesterday or even better, last year, would be when I want to retire. The reality is that I don't see retirement in my future at all.
This is an all too common dilemma faced by creatives.
I love working with my 'old sweeties' in Long Term Care, but I am fighting a continual battle with the clock/calendar, and it get's very tiring.  
Retirement sounds like a dream come true, unfortunately having been self employed most of my life, the only CPP for me will be the little bit I get from the part time side jobs I've periodically had.

I'm at a stage in my art career where I need to be spending more time in the studio, but time is an ever more elusive beast. I hate turning down invitations to show that have been coming my way, I hate having no new art to show at the Art Emporium, and being under pressure to produce work for the next show

  STEAG 10th Annual Show & Sale 
November 11 - 13, 2016
Fri. 6-9pm, Sat. 10am - 6pm Sun. 11am - 5pm
CASO Station, 750 Talbot St, St Thomas (behind Giant Tiger) 

Please don't think I'm whining, or have any serious regrets, because I'm not, and don't.  I don't have much work because I did some serious experimentation this summer, not all of which was successful and what was sold quickly... 
So, I continue to soldier on, dreaming about windfalls, and winning lotteries with tickets I never buy, and 'one day' when my ship comes in, though I'll probably be a the train station... painting in the moments I'm able to carve out of my day, it's amazing what you can do with 15 minutes here and there.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments.